Friday 18 June 2010

Australia Adventures: 13. Kickin ' up Cairns and Last Train from Kuranda


Last time I was reporting of my adventures in the Land of Oz I was in Port Douglas. Pretty place to hang for a bit....


DSCF4479.jpg

DSCF6005.jpg

Strange things you find in hostels....


Having not spending much time in Cairns when I arrived there the first time back in April, I ventured back there and into the Aboriginal Rainforest Regions of Kuranda on a skyrail flying over the beautiful rainforest. 'The Skyrail Rainforest Cableway' is one of the world's longest cableways stretching 7.5 kms over North Queensland's Tropical Rainforest to the cute village of Kuranda, nestled amongst the cocoon of the tropical rainforest - spectacular!


DSCN0033.jpgDSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0091.jpgDSCN0086.jpg















DSCN0059.jpg

Yeah that little black shadow blob in the middle there....yeah thats me
Upon descending at Kuranda after gliding for 90 minutes over the rainforest, the village itself sprawls out throbbing with quaint, eco market stalls as 'Boots' and I trudged around the aura of friendly locals - but of course very touristy as it provides a great day tripper for travellers from Cairns.  
I then took up a visit to a Rainforestation Park, which again is an enormous tourist park where I got better acquainted with some Aussie Wildlife Locals......

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg


DSCN0133.jpg

yeah not the smartest idea....

Riding in Army Ducks through the rainforest with a 'true blue' Aussie guide (they're really cool, they drive on land and then plunge into water and drive like a boat)


DSCN0181.jpg


DSCN0197.jpgDSCN0192.jpg


DSCN0203.jpg


The highlight of my trip to Kuranda was witnessing a male Aborigine ceremonial dance performance which was very different to anything I'd seen before, which paid homage to the dream time stories and native Australian animals that different Aborigine skin names hold so sacredly. They even made fire in less than ten seconds...now they know how to survive. They later took us outside to give us a spear throwing, boomerang and primal hunting demonstrations - woowww!!!! watching six boomerangs being thrown at once swivelling through the air was incredible to watch. I decided to take a more adventurous way back into Cairns by walking down to the pretty little Kuranda station to find a traditional old steam train waiting for me how cute!

The Kuranda Scenic Railway took me 34km winding through the tranquil picturesque mountains and rainforest (waterfalls!) back to the cement, iron world of Cairns with the wind rippling through my way as we roared back into the city welcomed by the friendly waves of passer-bys who were all so familiar with the train passing through daily. Great Train Journey - highly recommend it. 

I was taken by the reef so much after visiting it off Cape Tribulation that I attended a marine school for a day back in Cairns being lectured about the World of The Great Barrier Reef (Do you know that Dory is actually a dangerous fish from Finding Nemo? No!)

Until next time....











With Lonely Planet Travel Guide Australia

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for sharing this wonderful page. It's genuiely helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, good info. Now i'm inspired by your posts here.

    Maybe in the future i'll be publishimg great log pages like this.
    Thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete

Scribble back!